About Orthodontics | Before and After | Common Treatments | Dentofacial Orthopedics | Surgical Orthodontics | Two-Phase Treatment | For Children | For Teens | For Adults | Patient Care Videos | Retention | Emergency Care
A retention phase is usually necessary following completion of orthodontic treatment. The regime for retainer wear varies on a case by case basis and it involves a combination of initial full-time retainer wear. This is followed by a night-time wear pattern for the retainers after a few months. After a long journey to straighter teeth, you deserve to show off your wonderful smile. ASTICS Clear is the only clear wire retention solution. It is the perfect choice to achieve a clear, virtually invisible look. You can comfortably and confidently wear the retainer all day
- Wear your retainers full time, until the doctor instructs otherwise.
- Take your retainers out when eating, and always put retainers in their case! (Most appliances are lost in school lunch rooms or restaurants.)
- Clean retainers thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque, and eliminates odors. Efferdent® or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used but do not take the place of brushing.
- When retainers are not in your mouth they should ALWAYS be in a retainer case. Pets love to chew on them!
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to them faster.
- Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken call us immediately.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainers, or if your retainers need adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust them yourself.
- Always bring your retainers to your appointments.
- Retainer replacements are expensive, but with proper care they will last for years!
- Remove retainers when swimming.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.